Windows 10 Upgrades on your computer
Windows 10 is now available for download, and it’s free (until 29 July 2016)!
Sounds too good to be true? It’s not………kind of!
Microsoft has recently decided to make Windows 10 not only free for upgrade on Windows computers, they are almost forcing it upon you by showing you pop-ups and Windows 10 upgrade icons on your current operating system. You can avoid the pop-ups by only clicking on the “X” in the top right corner, otherwise you will find your computer upgraded the next day!
Quote from Computer World article, “Microsoft has extended the Carrot, later it will brandish the stick”. Well, I think they pulled out a old oak tree branch!
Several questions for you:
Do I need to upgrade to Windows 10? No. Microsoft would like you to think so, but it is a personal choice still (Windows 7 is going to be supported until 2020 as of right now).
Do I want to upgrade? Yes, if I am ready for a new experience with some ‘possible’ hiccups and little bit of a learning curve.
Do I need to create a Microsoft account in order to use Windows 10? No, but you will not be able to use some of the ‘apps’ that the Windows store offers
Microsoft allows you to create a local account (just like you have on Windows 7) but it is a little tricky on getting there in the settings.
Do I need to create a new email account with Microsoft? No, when you create a Microsoft account, you don’t have to create an email with them. You can use your existing email, even Gmail; it just becomes your user name for the account.
- Windows 10 has so far proven itself to be a reliable operating system (especially for the price!).
- Anyone with Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 licensed computers can upgrade free until end of July.
- After you upgrade to Windows 10, the license is yours for the life of the computer/device
- You can return to your previous operating system within 30 days of the upgrade with no complications (mostly!).
- Franktronics is now offering classes for Windows 10!!
- The performance on most computers improves with Windows 10 upgrade (may need to have more memory on some systems).
- You can use your Microsoft account to login and it will ‘move’ with you from one computer/device to another (settings, not necessarily files).
- IMPORTANT: Not all products, specialty software suites, printers, old Windows programs, are compatible with Windows 10.
If you are running a business, then make sure any specialty software packages you have are current and compatible (your software vender is the best source for this).
If this is your home computer, then you can come in and talk to any of our technicians or just give us a call
Some of these items do not get identified in the compatibility check for Windows 10 upgrade so make sure you look up the model of your equipment from the manufacturer.
- If the Operating system needs to be reloaded, it sometimes proves more difficult on an upgraded computer, then buying one with Windows 10 preinstalled.
- You can use your Microsoft account to login; Some individuals would just rather prefer to live without Microsoft knowing their business! 😉
- If you want to upgrade to Windows 10, the download is approximately 3Gb in size. If you have limited data connections, then this is an issue. We can download and install for you at our shop.
There are many occasions that individuals find their computer upgraded to Windows 10 and they didn’t even realize it until it was too late.
No problem, as were here to help!
You can bring your computer into Franktronics and we can perform the downgrades. If you have passed by the 30 day grace period, we can still help. We can reload your original operating system and recover all your data in the same process. Call our office for details.
Franktronics is also offering classes, including an Introduction to Windows 10.
Go to Franktronics Computer Training to find out what the latest schedule is.
ATTENTION ALL BUSINESSES/GROUPS: Franktronics is also offering computer training at your office/facility location of choice. Just call us for details!
If you have ideas and suggestions, then you can email me direct at email@example.com or just call the office and leave a message.